Thursday, August 6, 2009

A celebration of questions unanswered

I have been wanting to update for awhile but things have been so busy/wonderful/confusing that everytime I sat down I had no idea where to start. So I will just begin with the knowledge that there aren't enough words to describe all that has happened and that my thoughts are very scattered.

I feel so lucky to have these experiences, to be with a group that shares a similar vision for the world--and therefore shares similar struggles. I am grateful for space to discuss really difficult ideas. We've talked a lot about how to take care of ourselves while working for social justice, living in a world of unimaginable suffering. It's easier to say it's too big and too bad to touch, but to dive in knowing how difficult it will be is what truly makes my heart rejoice.

We have been working with a women's rights group here in Bangalore, consisting of 5 incredible women. Their strength gives me courage and hope to continue the struggle in all dimensions of life. We visited with a union of garment workers a few days ago. And when we talk about sweatshops around the globe we are talking about women, who make of the majority of workers. It's important to recognize this when speaking about rights of sweatshop workers as well as exploring why this type of work is dominated by women. Talking with them and hearing how they organize against atrocious abuses of human rights was so fascinating to me. I do a lot of organizing in Seattle with labor rights, much of the time involving sweatshops abroad. Activism looks different in Seattle than here in Bangalore, and I must humbly acknowledge the privileges I hold--that I am not directly affected by these abuses, that I am a college student, that I have the ability to "choose" which injustices to fight. At the same time, I do not remove myself from the equation--I am a part of the system as a consumer, as a woman, and as a human being. This is a beautiful thing because this means I am as much a part of the problem as I am of the solution :)

We also met with a rural women's federation in a town called Burgaum. These women traveled a long way just to come talk with us, to try and give us a small idea of what they are doing. They started organizing by creating small self-help groups to create a space to talk about struggles and support eachother. They have grown to represent over 500 women in rural communities and work together to address issues of domestic violence, access to resources, and gender inequality. To be in the same room as these women made me feel so humbled. They did not have a western NGO come in and tell them they were being oppressed, they have truly created a grassroots movement that addresses injustice directly and immediately.

Yesterday we met with a group that supports LGBT rights...wonderful, still processing and have very few words. I've been thinking a lot about how language perpetuates oppression...and therefore how language can be a vehicle for social justice. Not sure exactly what this means for me, but I am excited to explore this more.

Tonight I am taking a train to Hampi where I will stay at a Children's Trust and do a little bit of volunteering over a long weekend.
"The Hampi Children’s Trust ( HCT ) is a non-profitmaking
organisation , based in the ancient historic town of Hampi
( aka Vijayanagara – “ City of Victory ” ) ,
the fabled capital of the Vijayanagara
Empire , in the state of Karnataka , India. We have
applied for Public Charitable Trust status under
Indian law ( having instucted Mr Mohan , a lawyer in
Hospet ) and have also sent the appropriate
registration forms to the Charity Commission in the
UK , for formal registation as a Charity.
The aim of the Trust is to promote + improve the
educational prospects of those young children ( aged 4 to
16 years ) living in Hampi Bazaar who currently do
not receive an education , primarily because their
parents do not allow them to attend school , pefering
instead to send them out begging for money
from the many Westerners who visit the
magnificent Hampi site during the tourist season .
Without a formal education , the prospects for these
children is bleak ."

One of the women we've been working with said this, "Let there not be closure. Let there be questions, let them grow with us, sit with us -- let it be okay."


That's all for now. Love you all soooo much!

Laura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment