Wednesday, March 24, 2010

trashy tv and toilet seats

im aliiiiive. you know that kind of sickness where your body is telling you, you betta get lots of plastic bags and water prepared right by the bed or its going to get messy? well thats what happened to me yesterday. god knows what it was, but i managed to make it to the pharmacy to get some sweet drugs that worked like a charm. and guess what? by about 7pm i made it out of bed for the first time that day and took a stroll to the river where i found my drummer friends from the day before. whenever i hear drumming i find myself heading towards the music and then moving my body in a way that somewhat resembles west african dance. amazingly enough these fine gentlemen were playing beats from west africa. last night i wasnt capable of dancing but i just laid by the river and enjoyed then was joined by a little boy. we played cards until his mom found him, screamed some inaudible words, gave him a smack, and yanked him home.

my trip to cuenca has been pretty...uneventful. cuenca is absolutely beautiful, feels like what i imagine paris to have been around 1930. havent done much other than walk around, lay by the river, watch looots of trashy tv, and be grateful that i have people who care enough to call me and make sure i dont die alone in some tiny hostal.

the first day we were here i did manage to hit up a modern art museum, and just my luck--it was an exhibit of women artists from all around latin america. much of the art was clearly an expression of suffering, a protest of socialized gender roles, of domesticity, a call for change. ironically enough as i was walking back to my hostal, feeling inspired and empowered (aHEM), i was stalked by a man in his car yelling obscenities at me and im almost certain he was touching himself...the world is a very strange place. yes it is strange indeed.

until we blog again,
lala

1 comment:

  1. LAURA, I am SO happy to hear that you are feeling better. I was a little worried. That art museum sounds really. I've been itching to go to the Seattle one, I think there is an Andy Warhol exhibit that is coming up soon. Anyway, I was just so excited to see that you were better. Muah.

    ReplyDelete