Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The sun, my heart




An offering of love




Full eclipse, speechless


The best view in the world


Varanasi is a magical place


Paharganj lovin

Wow, what a day! Arrived in Varanasi early yesterday morning where our friend Tarun picked us up. We rested for a bit, as I hadn't slept all night on the train, and stumbled into the holy city. After wandering through narrow alleyways, the river Ganga revealed herself magically to me. I walked along the ghats in a blissful trance. It was quiet, only the wind and the leaves whispered softly (and the guys trying to scam me into going somewhere and buying some thing :) ).

Last night we met a lovely man named Shiva who offered to take us out on his boat this morning--just what we were looking for! We got up at 4 to make our way to the river, meet up with Shiva, and set sail. The sky was cloudy, but as the sun began to rise the clouds parted for one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Slowly the sun hid behind the moon, and as the last bit of sun disappeared, people began yelling and praying! Thousands of people on the shore prayed and bathed and prayed--even Shiva who said he had seen a hundred eclipses was stunned and began praying. I am told that many people believe God is in trouble when there is an eclipse. Time hung in the air as the darkness enveloped us all, and all I could do was smile.

Holding you in my heart,
Laurina

p.s. check this out http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/Centurys-longest-total-solar-eclipse-begins/articleshow/4805367.cms

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are fabulous! I haven't seen the ones posted by the news media of the eclipse, but cannot imagine they could be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurita, it has been wonderful reading of your adventures. Your pix are amazing! Between your descriptions and the photos, it's as if I can almost hear, smell and feel what you are experiencing. Thanks for sharing with us all. We miss you and are so happy for you! Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete