Thursday, July 16, 2009

Transforming frustration...(and pictures, in no particular order ;) )


Bathing in the Ganges


Rishikesh



View from our room


Crazy in the train station after a loong journey


Manali



Puja at the Dalai Lama's temple, a day of world prayer


Dalai Lama's birthday bash


Ellie or Dalai? hmm...


Rudy and the holy Ganga


Combine:
1 yoga class
2 amazing women
1 four hour long breakfast/lunch
3 games of shithead (card game, simmer down) with 1 new friend
2 amazing books (try Dwellings by Linda Hogan and Like Water for Chocolate by Laura something...)
Sprinkle with loads and loads of laughing.

As I believe I mentioned in the previous post, it's been a little hectic here in Rishikesh...a place we came to because we heard it is the exact opposite--calm, peaceful, etc. Walking out on the street is nearly impossible, and if I do I am bombarded by hundreds of men yelling things at me, taking pictures of me, trying to impress eachother by playing a game of "who can be the most forward to the white chick on her own." It feels like a football game to the extreme 24/7. I figured out that if I attach myself to an Indian woman and hide behind her as I walk, no one bothers me too much. I don't like feeling frustrated, but then again I can't be too hard on myself and I can't imagine not being.

At the same time, it's not really okay for me to want them not to be here. It's not my country, not my tradition, not my Shiva's month celebration. So this morning as we tried to cross the bridge but physically could not because of all the people, I decided that the best thing to do is find out as much information about what is happening here and try and understand.

We are going to try and leave here on Sunday, but things are never as one plans/expects. Trying to get here was almost impossible, leaving should be quite interesting. We'll attempt to make it onto a train to Delhi, and then to Varanasi for the eclipse. After that will be a totally different experience, my study abroad program in Bangalore! We will be learning about social justice activism. I have a feeling it will be a bit less intense to live there, and I am excited to meet my groupmates and have a lot of time/space to learn about things I am most passionate about. I am grateful to have been able to come out early, see a lot of northern India, and have time to reflect, read, and get acquainted with lovely India.

3 comments:

  1. We're excited to see you too! Beautiful pics, by the way. So glad things are going so well for you (if incredibly frustrating at times).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy!! Yes I can't wait...well I can but seeing you all will be amazing.
    I'm excited to hear all about your biking adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is beautiful. I'm glad you are having such an amazing time. Let me tell you, reading your blog is like this amazing little escape from work for me. I check it every day and love reading about your adventures. Take care Laura. xoxo -Laura

    ReplyDelete